Burnley are part of the new Active Lifestyle Hub for Pennine Lancashire, covering Burnley, Pendle, Ribble Valley, Hyndburn, Rossendale and Blackburn with Darwen.
We have been commissioned to deliver Health Programmes, including the Up & Active Exercise Referral Scheme, Healthy Weight and Community Cardiac Rehabilitation. All programmes are 12 weeks and offer a variety of physical activity.
The various classes take place at a range of times during the week and are on offer at different venues including St Peter’s and Padiham leisure centres, Prairie Sports Village, Burnley Mechanics, Gannow Community Centre, Chai Centre and Barden Athletics Track.
How to access the Up and Active Service
Health Professional Referral – please make an appointment with your Health Professional to discuss suitability. Your Health Professional will send a referral form to the Active Lifestyles Hub and an advisor will then make contact will you.
Self-Referral – please contact us on 01282 477134 to speak to one of the advisors, or fill out the online referral form.
Contact the team for general enquiries on 01282 477127.
Click on the tabs below to find out more about our individual programmes.
The Up & Active Exercise Referral programme is a 12-week structured course of physical activity. Exercise options include chair-based exercise, group health walks, low level circuit, supervised gym, swimming, Stretch & Tone with relaxation and the FeelGood Room. Each session has a charge of £2.50 during the 12 weeks. We ask a minimum attendance of one session a week.
To be eligible for this programme you must be at least 16 years old, inactive and have one or more health conditions. Conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, musculoskeletal problems or injuries, or mental health issues such as anxiety or depression.
This programme can be accessed through completing the online referral form, by telephoning 01282 477134 or a referral from a Health Professional, for example – GP, Practice Nurse, Physio.
Useful links and resources:
Up and Active Client Journey’s:
- Philip is feeling very fit after attending the programme. He was recovering from back surgery and his goal is now to get fitter.
- Graham has better fitness after attending. He feels much healthier and is looking forward to a more active life.
- Valerie has a higher level of fitness and a happier disposition. She is feeling happier and more agile. She now walks faster and further and now feels better about herself.
- Susan has lost weight and feels more toned, she also feels much fitter. She feels stronger and takes part in more things. She thinks it is nice to be able to go on walks and exercise without being short of breath.
- Nina has better mobility and balance as a result of attending a programme. She feels more energetic and is now more active.
- Gareth has achieved more movement on the programme. He feels better from meeting new people and he can now join in with new groups.
- Dennis has improved his fitness, which has in turn helped with his breathing and overall health and happiness. He feels like he can do a lot more active things and he also feels stronger and healthier.
A 12-week structured programme of progressive exercise and health education for people who have recently had a heart attack or heart surgery. Exercise options include group health walks, low level group activity, supervised gym, plus group health education. The cost of the programme is £36 for the 12 weeks.
This programme is only accessed via a referral from a Cardiac Nurse or Health Professional.
Useful links and resources:
BLC Healthy Weight Programmes – 12-weeks of weight loss support.
There are a number of classes and courses to choose from when deciding on the type of support you’d like.
Please see short descriptions of the FREE Healthy Weight programmes below.
Healthy Weight Classes – a weigh-in and a weekly healthy eating workshop. Set start and finish time.
Healthy Weight Weigh-in – a weigh-in with motivational advice. Call in at any point during the session.
Healthy Weight Course – a 12-week programme that starts and finishes with the same people and includes a weigh-in, weekly workshop, and physical activity. Set start and finish time.
To be eligible you must be at least 18 years old and have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30+
You will be eligible to access a selection of leisure activities for a one-off fee of £36 whilst on your 12-week programme.
Any programme can be accessed by filling in the online referral form or by telephoning 01282 477134.
You can also access a programme with a referral from a Health Professional. For example – GP, Practice Nurse or Physio.
Up & Active Newsletter
Read our newsletter
Read our blogs
Read Up & Active blogs and updates.