First and foremost we’d like to say thank you to all of our members for your continued loyalty and commitment to us, especially through the turbulent past two years that have been challenging in many ways for all of us.
Secondly, and with a large degree of regret, we want to inform you that we are increasing our membership fees for the first time in more than 10 years – a decision arising out of economic necessity.
From 1st January 2022, your membership fees with Burnley Leisure & Culture (BLC) will increase by £1 per month if you pay by monthly direct debit, or £5 per year if you make a one-off annual payment.
As well as taking the opportunity to say thank you, we also wanted to explain how, as a registered charity, BLC reinvests any surplus income into the operation, management and development of our sports, leisure and arts facilities. Your support helps us to deliver our swim academy, physical and mental health activities in schools and the wider community, holiday clubs, cardiac rehab, community engagement and tackle anti-social behaviour.
In the last 18 months, we have re-invested more than £400,000 into our vision of promoting active and healthy communities. This includes upgrades to gym and class equipment at both sites along with substantial improvements to the pool facilities at St Peter’s Leisure Centre in Burnley, including new rescue equipment, disabled access and improved pool grating. There are plans in place to upgrade the steam and relaxation area at Padiham Leisure Centre in the new year.
We have also invested in:
- Upgrading the 1955 Kitchen and Bar at Prairie Sports Village
- Replacing the ground floor toilets at the Mechanics Theatre, upgrading the furniture in the bistro, replacing the theatre bar roof and providing new lighting and blinds
- Upgrading the old Bistro 197 kitchen at Towneley Golf Club, along with drainage improvements and new course equipment
- Purchasing three new boats for Thompson Park boating lake
- Upgrading the CCTV at Padiham Leisure Centre
- Top Tracer technology at Prairie Sports Village
- New ball collector, balls and matting at Prairie Sports Village along with improvement work on the range outfield
- New audio visual equipment across all sites
- Personal development training for all staff
And in the first two weeks of January we are waiving our usual joining fee to encourage more people to take advantage of our facilities and services.
Thank you once again, and please be assured that by maintaining your BLC membership you are not only gaining access to our premier facilities, services and equipment, you are helping to make Burnley a healthier, happier and more active borough.